Monday, October 1, 2007

Kyoto and TV

"The only English words I saw in Japan were Sony and Mitsubishi."
~Bill Gullickson

Today, our first real day off, Bunny and I decided to go into Kyoto. Kyoto was the capital of Japan before Tokyo (but after Nara). It is modeled after the Chinese style of cities which means it has streets laid out in a grid pattern with actual names. This differs from the usual Japanese system of part of the city and building number. We visited Nijo Castle, the old seat of the Shogun and the Shrine of Pure Waters. On the way up to the shrine we spotted an actual geisha getting into a car. Contrary to popular belief, even seeing a geisha walking down the street is exceedingly rare. Thanks to the polite insistence of an old lady who happened to see us admiring the geisha, Bunny and I got our picture taken with her. As we were just reaching the shrine, we saw a pair of maiko (another type of geisha) walking down the hill. They were wearing wooden sandals that were about three inches tall. Bunny and I couldn't figure out how they didn't go sliding down the hill like they were skiing. The shrine itself gets its name from a spring which pours clean water into a pool. There are three spouts representing wealth, health and wisdom. Bunny and I drank from the wealth spout.

In our off time, Bunny and I enjoy watching movies on her computer, reading books, and occasionally watching Japanese television. Japanese television can basically be divided into three categories.

1. Programs about food: Generally Japanese food. The hosts go out and try things that we could never afford so they rub it in our face by telling us how delicious it is.

2. Programs about the greatness of Japan: Also very common. This would be considered propoganda in a police state, but here everyone actually believes it.

3. Programs you'd actually want to watch: You think I exaggerate, but these are the rarest, and are chiefly shows and movies imported from other countries.

No comments: